When hearing the words “Brazilian jiu-jitsu,” often pictures of UFC games and ultra-muscular men come to mind. In reality, the art of jiu-jitsu is quite different than the showy, hyper-aggressive sport karate that is sometimes portrayed on television. Rather, it is a martial art that can improve more than your physical well-being; it is a way of life that incorporates self-defense to promote growth of the mind and spirit through perseverance, dedication, and patience—regardless of gender or physical limitations. A lot of people talk about the jiu-jitsu lifestyle, but what exactly does that encompass?
- Effective self-defense skills. Brazilian jiu-jitsu is a martial art that promotes the principle of a smaller, weaker person using grappling skills, leverage, and proper technique to defend himself against a stronger assailant. The emphasis is placed on expending the least amount of energy as possible to effectively neutralize an opponent. Building your self-defense skills can help you out of a dangerous situation, and the self-confidence boost can be applied to other areas of your life.
- Enhanced strength and flexibility. As previously stated, the focus of jiu-jitsu isn’t primarily on building strength—it is about knowing your physical limitations and applying your strength in all directions to maximize force with minimal effort. Practicing in this framework builds patience and discipline. This martial art teaches you to suppress panic and keep it at bay in order to execute the perfect reversal. As a result, Brazilian jiu-jitsu techniques improve muscular flexibility and strength while conditioning the mind to act fast on reflexes while remaining calm.
- Improved self-esteem. Becoming a master of jiu-jitsu can take years of practice, which will allow you to gain an endless amount of knowledge and techniques. It is a program with belts and patches acknowledging personal achievement. You can see the tangible results of your training paying off and gain an incredible sense of pride and satisfaction. This self-confidence can be applied in every area of life.
- Fostering new relationships. Brazilian jiu-jitsu requires classmates to spend hours on the mat with each other. Every day, you learn and sweat together, and develop trust in each other. These special bonds can extend outside of the classroom and mature into lifelong friendships.
- Achieve a healthier life perspective. Often those who train in Brazilian jiu-jitsu claim that they have a newly found sense of determination. Along with relieving stress, this type of training promotes focus, structure, discipline, healthy living, and wellness. It’s more than a sport—it’s a lifestyle.
Jiu-jitsu training and study will challenge you in ways you never thought possible. Contact NYMAA and start your journey today!